The answer may not be in the tone. It may not be in your marketing efforts. It may not even be in your poor organization.
But it may be an easier fix than you think.
Why Aren’t You Making More?
Your goal this year was to increase your client base so you could earn more with your freelancing. But you’re doing everything you thought you were supposed to do and it’s just not working.
You’ve approached every magazine you read, but the editors aren’t digging your ideas because they’ve all been done before.
The one or two potential clients that you do manage to make contact with don’t respond to your emails or cold calls.
And your letter of introduction isn’t getting the attention you thought it would. And you’re tired.
So you try to produce more, to produce better, newer content, but it doesn’t happen. No matter how much you schedule, you can’t focus long enough to do all you hoped to. And it’s frustrating.
Too Frustrated To Focus On Fitness
That frustration doesn’t lead to better or more creative work, does it?
Instead of working harder to meet your cold-call quota or to increase the numbers of queries you send out, you crawl into bed – and hide – hoping that tomorrow will be different.
But Freelance Frustration is something to be taken head on – running away from it doesn’t solve it and it doesn’t give you the tools to deal with it. Without facing it, you risk losing your business.
There is a way that’ll help you battle it and WIN.
Take Up A Income-Enhancing Hobby
Exercising daily probably isn’t an answer you want to hear, but it is one that gets results. And before you roll your eyes, there’s scientific evidence to back up that exercising will help you earn more.
A study done by Cleveland State University found that people who exercised 3 times per week earned a whopping 6-10% more than sedentary people. And as a freelancer that increase translates into an increase in your client base, your rates, or BOTH.
Don’t treat working out as just something else on your to do list. Make it a part of your business plan.
— Tania Dakka (@TaniaDakka) July 8, 2012
As a freelancer, your business success is based on your fitness because how fit you are ultimately determines how focused you are, how rested you are, how well you manage stress (ahem, let me say that again – your fitness determines how well you manage stress! – but you don’t have to deal with that, do you?). It also keeps you healthy so you don’t spend time in bed wishing you felt well enough to design or write.
Being fit also makes you more productive and creative. Increasing your fitness level boosts information processing up to 68%. And your time and productivity output are improved by 15%. In short, exercising makes you smarter and more efficient – could your business could use numbers like those?
Fitness is the answer to making you more by earning you more clients and more money.
Finding a way to get fit so you can rock your freelance career is paramount to your success as a freelancer. And here’s how you can do it today.
Just copy and paste the code below!
Action Steps To Take Today
Take these Action Steps and increase your fitness and start earning more. Implement them now, but gauge your progress in 6 months to see just how far fit has taken you.
1. Do what you love. Since working out is going to be something you do every day, you’ll want it to be something you love and can deal with daily. Make a list of those activities and rotate them so you don’t get bored.
My list includes shadow boxing, ZWOW’s by Zuzana Light, high intensity interval training, dancing, walking/running on the treadmill, sprints, walking/running outside, supersets of anything, swimming, soccer, and lifting weights.
2. Commit to taking 15 minutes every day to push your limits. As a freelancer, you’re used to being sedentary, so this may not be easy to start with. But put it in your mind that you’re going to spend the MINIMUM 15 minutes every day and log it in your Day Planner just as you log project work for clients or marketing.
3. Forget it. Set your appointment time to workout and don’t think about it again. Don’t dwell on the fact that you don’t really WANT to get up and expend energy that you don’t have. Don’t think about how tiring it’ll be in the beginning. Don’t even think about how good it’s going to feel when you’re done. Set an alarm on your phone on your calendar, anywhere, but when it goes off, do it – without thinking about it.
4. Write about it. At the end of your 15 minutes of whatever you did, write it in your journal, but don’t just write what you did, write HOW YOU FELT. You’ll be hard-pressed to find someone who was miserable while they worked out. Those little endorphins tend to take over and help you forget your stress and frustration to make you feel good. Look at what you wrote often and engrain that feeling of bliss that comes when you work out. Eventually, working out will become something that you NEED mentally and physically.
5. Get a partner. Virtual or otherwise. Working out with someone that has the same goal – to be fit – is easier and more fun. Make it a competition or a co-opetition (working together to support each other). With someone to cheer you on and discuss your ups and downs with, you’ll be inspired even when you don’t want to work out and they’ll remind of how far you’ve come when you want to give up.
Use these tactics, hit your peak and increase your freelance income starting TODAY!
What stops you from improving your business by improving your fitness?
Thanks for taking the time to read and I’d love to get to know you, so leave a comment before you go! Have an awesome day!
If you enjoyed this piece, please share it using the share buttons above or below the post. Freelancing is hard and every time you share things that help you, you could help someone else that needs it, too!
© 2012, Tania Dakka. All rights reserved.